Thursday, November 6, 2008

Shrimp Enchiladas



I know I am terrible at updating my food blog. I only did this to share with friends and family members, but soon after starting Oh My Ganache!, I started reading other cooking blogs and cooking all these new recipes and so I neglected my own blog. But today I was eating some leftover Shrimp Enchiladas and realized I had the picture and recipe and should at least put these on the blog, especially because they are delicious! I love Mexican Food so much I could eat it every day.

I found the recipe from one of my favorite recipe blogs -- http://mykitchencafe.blogspot.com/. I changed the recipe a little bit. First I didn't have any red pepper, but I did have a jalapeno, so I put that in instead. And then I didn't have enough Monterey Jack cheese, so I did a combination of low-fat Monterey Jack cheese, pepper Jack, and Cheddar. And finally I don't like flour tortillas, so I used corn tortillas which I warmed up directly over my gas burner until they were soft enough to roll over without tearing. Dan doesn't like corn tortillas, so I made his with the Costco Tortillas that you have cook. Anyway I have made them twice now and LOVE them.
I was so excited to eat them, that I started to dig my fork in and then realized I hadn't taken a picture. They are that good.

Shrimp Enchiladas

1/2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped (I used 1 Jalapeno chopped finely)
1/2 cup onion, minced
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
2 T. butter
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 cups Monterey Jack cheese, divided (you can use half pepper-jack cheese for great results or cheddar)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined (I buy mine from Costco)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped
8 (9-inch) flour tortillas or corn tortillas warmed.

Saute peppers and onions in 2 T. butter until crisp-tender. Add oregano, salt, garlic powder, pepper, cayenne pepper, cream and flour; blend well. Continue cooking for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add 1 1/2 cups cheese; stir until melted. Add sour cream, stir to blend. Set aside. In another skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Saute shrimp and 1/2 cup onion until shrimp are pink. Remove shrimp and chop; return to butter and onion. Add chopped tomatoes and 1/2 of the cheese sauce. Spoon 1/3 cup shrimp mixture into each tortilla. Sprinkle cheese on top of shrimp mixture. Roll up tightly. Arrange seam side down in a 9X13-inch glass baking dish. Spoon remaining cheese sauce over tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.

1 comment:

Joseph and Katie said...

Yeah! I love the new look of your cooking blog and added "My Kitchen Cafe" site to my link list! This recipe sounds yummy! I want to try.