Sunday, June 1, 2008

Shredded Pork

Before I start I am going apologize for the second recipe being a pork recipe too. I only eat pork every other week and it has been about two weeks since my last pork dinner. Today for dinner I made some shredded Pork Tacos. I like this recipe because I can put it in the crock pot. Originally this recipe was cooked in the oven, but I modified it so I could put it in the crock pot in the morning and leave it all day. I found the recipe in a Sunset magazine about five years ago. I love the Pork at Cafe Rio, but this recipe has no sugar yet has a sweet flavor.



CafĂ© Pasqual’s Barbacoa (Shredded Tacos)

If cooking meat up to 3 days ahead, chill airtight; freeze to store longer.

Makes: about 10 cups (I half the recipe! But it does freeze well)

1 pound onions, peeled and diced
1 pound firm-ripe tomatoes, rinsed, cored, and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
4 fresh jalapeno chilies, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, quartered lengthwise
2 dried bay leaves
1 cup chicken broth (I use a cup of water and a bouillon cube or Better than Bullion)
½ cup lime juice
2 T. white wine vinegar or I use cider or red wine
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground pepper
1 boned, beef chuck or boned pork shoulder or butt (4-5 lbs)-- either meat is really good!

Put all of the ingredients in the crock pot except the meat. Rinse beef or pork and put in crock pot. Cook on high for five hours or low for eight hours or until meat is tender enough to pull apart. Transfer meat to a platter. Pour pan juices through a strainer into a big pan (discard bay leaves; reserve remaining vegetable mixture); skim and discard fat. Boil juices over high heat until reduced to 1 cup, 25 to 30 minutes.
When meat is cool enough to handle, use two forks or your fingers to pull meat into shreds; discard fat and connective tissue. Add meat and reserved vegetable mixture to pan with juices. Stir occasionally over medium heat until steaming, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt.

Serve on tortillas with crumbled cotija cheese, cheddar cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, or whatever toppings you like. I also like to use this in Taco Salads.

1 comment:

Joseph and Katie said...

We always have a ton of Eagle Mountain Ranch beef roasts and I need a new way to prepare it. Joe and I have been putting roasts in the oven over night or in the crock pot to have on Sunday for dinner. I am excited to try this recipe. One question, since I am nursing I am hesitant to use the jalapeno chilies, will the flavor be comprimised if I don't use them? Also, I still would love to have a copy of your Alfredo sauce. Just e-mail that if you want. THANKS!