Friday, May 16, 2008

Chile Verde



Here's a recipe for Chile Verde that we really like. I made this the first time when my husband brought home a giant Pork Loin instead of Tenderloin from the store. Needless to say I felt daunted by this large piece of meat, but quickly realized I could make Chile Verde with it. I had always wanted to make Chile Verde and now was my chance. I served it the first time to my brother-in-law since it is one of his favorite dishes. He ate so much of it that he could barely walk. I knew then I had a winner. I found this recipe somewhere on the Internet and of course improved it to my liking. So enjoy.

Pork Chile Verde

2 lb. lean pork -- cut into cubes
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 large onion cut into chunks
1 large can chopped green chiles
6 fresh tomatillos -- peeled, washed, and cut into quarters
2 cloves of garlic
6 fresh peppers -- I use a combination of poblano, green, Anaheim, and 1 jalapeno. Chop the peppers in big chunks leaving seeds in if you want a spicier sauce.

Lightly brown pork and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer everything to a slow cooker on high heat and add can of green chiles.

Put chopped tomatillos in blender. Blend well. Add peppers, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 tsp. of oregano and 1/2 tsp. of cumin. Blend until everything is chopped up. Pour sauce into cooker and turn to low. I also add 1 tsp. of Better than Buillon Chicken flavor or buillon into the crockpot. Cook until meat is tender. Since pork cooks quickly, it is usually done in about 6 hours.

I serve this with tortillas -- any kind, using the sauce as the filling and putting some on top, refried beans, mexican rice, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, cheese -- cheddar or cotija.

Angie's Extras: I like to get all the browned bits off the pan that I used to cook the pork in. I usually put the blended sauce in the pan and scrape up all the drippings in the pan before I put the sauce in the crockpot.

1 comment:

Joseph and Katie said...

I am going to be brave and try this recipe. My Grandparents (my mom's parents) used to make this and I want to try to attempt to make it. I will let you know how it goes.
Katie